Thursday, July 17, 2008

Disgruntled

To compensate for the 2 hours of sleep the previous night, I managed 11 and a half hours last night! Dad and Jeffrey had a meeting in the morning, so I was left to my own devices until 1:00pm.  I finished my book and went down to see the shore below the house. It was totally different to any coast I'd ever been to.  There were loads of crabs in many bright colors, as well as colourful coral and lizards.

By lunch the meeting had finished and I was able to meet the legendary Joel Strauss from the Ozark mountains. He is a huge jazz buff and dad had bought him some Charley Mingus which he assured us was only appreciated by real jazz people.

Joel entertained everyone at lunch and began a number of heated arguments about the word 'fink' as well as continuing an ongoing discussion about the word 'disgruntled', its origins and its apparent equivocal nature - If a grunt is uttered in displeasure why is disgruntled a bad thing (any input much appreciated).

In the Afternoon I visited Mbutu primary school for the first time. The school is situated a couple of miles from Ras Dege. I met two of the teachers at the school for an introduction, as well as a local Sea Sense leader. All were very friendly and welcoming. I will be going back by bike by myself tomorrow so I will be able to tell you more about the school then.

On the way back we stopped off at a beautiful beach with a huge Baobab tree. The beach was covered in crabs and it was an amazing setting. I rode in the back of the pickup with the rest of the guys.  As we passed the little villages I received stares and waves.

In the evening when we got back, we were informed that there would be a guest coming over for dinner.  Jeffrey informed us that he was a real character and called himself the only Tamil speaking oyster shucker in the world. He owned a vineyard in Cornwall and came to Tanzania throughout the English winter and a couple of weeks in the summer.

Thats all for now again. Hudson

No comments: